• HOME
  • About & History

The Calgary Tennis Club (CTC), the largest outdoor seasonal club in Alberta, originated in 1889 and established a society at its current location in 1912.  CTC celebrated its Centennial in 2012.  In 2014, CTC was awarded the Canadian Seasonal Facility Excellence Award by bothTennis Canada and the Tennis Professionals Association.

We offer a friendly place to engage in competitive and social play, enhance your fitness potential, socialize with active people and bond with family members.

Our unique outdoor facility is located just west of downtown Calgary, with 6 plexi-pave and 3 "ClayTech" courts (all with lights), along with a full-service rustic clubhouse! CTC is a not-for-profit society.

We encourage you to explore our website in order to learn more about our lessons, programs, diverse membership options and events.  We also offer a wide range of items from our kitchen and a full bar service.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to our Club in the near future.
Please feel free to e-mail us at info@calgarytennisclub.com or contact us at (403) 244-5302 for more information. 

About Us

The Calgary Tennis Club has been one of Calgary's premier outdoor clubs since 1889. It is a friendly place to engage in competitive and social play, enhance your fitness potential, socialize with active people and bond with family members.

OUR ADVANTAGES

The only club in Calgary to offer two playing surfaces: 3 ClayTech clay courts and 6 Plexipave hard courts

  • All nine courts are fully lit for night time tennis through 11:00 pm

  • Active players at all levels from beginner to college level

  • Friendly clubhouse with locker and shower facilities

  • Full service kitchen and bar

  • Fitness Centre with lots of equipment to warm-up or cool-down

  • Pro shop items

  • Professional tennis lessions, adult drill-sessions

  • Other activities including:

    • Tournaments
    • Singles leagues
    • Intra-city club play
    • Organized Doubles Round Robin play
    • Youth programming
    • Social events and entertainment

JOIN THE CALGARY TENNIS CLUB TODAY

"where Calgary comes to play".

CLUB HISTORY

The CTC was founded in 1889, initially having a court downtown at 2nd St. and 7th Ave. S.W. It lost the court in 1897, but under the leadership of Dr. R.B. O’Sullivan the club was revived to organize the first Provincial Championships, held at Fort Calgary, in 1906. In 1907 it leased land for four shale courts in Lower Mount Royal. In 1912, having formed a limited liability corporation, the Calgary Lawn Tennis Club Limited, it purchased the current site in Sunalta for $10,000. Six shale courts and an elegant clubhouse (subsequently destroyed by fire in 1958) were immediately constructed.

After 1940 club membership increased steadily, from just over 100 during World War II to almost 800 in 1980. Increased membership allowed the club to make improvements. All nine courts were converted from shale to asphalt-based hard courts in the early 1970s; the deck was added and the clubhouse extended later in the same decade. Then, following the installation of lights in the mid-1980s, courts 1-3 were converted back to clay in 1991. During the period 1999-2010 the club either rebuilt or resurfaced all nine courts.

In 1926 the CTC merged with the Prince’s Island (formerly Anglican Young People’s Association) Club. In 1930 the club found itself facing severe financial problems, and ownership of its property passed to the city of Calgary. CTC President Reg Carlile then negotiated an agreement under which the city leased the site back to the club. With slight alterations this agreement has continued ever since.


Over the years many of Alberta’s best players have been CTC members, among them, Marjorie Eustace, nine times Alberta Ladies Singles Champion and 16 times Calgary Ladies’ champion. She was the first tennis player to be admitted to the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame in 1980.


Fundraising

CTC is a non-profit organization that receives operating and capital funding through its annual club memberships, bi-annual AGLC casinos, and City and Provincial grants. We wish to maintain our affordable membership rates for the public and have done so by completing capital lifecycle projects with government funding. Funds are not guaranteed year to year so we seek ideas for fundraising or donations from members to help fund events or initiatives.

Please contact our Club Manager at (403) 244-5302 for more information.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software